Call us on 01608 434 434


What is The Co-operative Mobile?
Calls and costs
SIM cards
Topping up my phone
How do i check my balance
Moving and keeping my number
Internet and data
Email and Messaging
Going or calling abroad
Using your device
Blackberry user
Lost and stolen

What is The Co-operative Mobile?

The Co-operative Mobile is a Pay As You Go mobile service provided by The Phone Co-op Limited, an award winning phone, broadband and mobile provider with over 15 years of experience. The Phone Co-op is the only telecoms business in the UK owned by its customers.

Read more about The Phone Co-op.


What's the coverage like?

Our mobile service runs on the Everything Everywhere network, so coverage is excellent, as you'd expect.

What if there's a problem with the service?

If you need to talk to us about anything, you can call us from your mobile using the special short number 500. Calls to this number cost 4p per minute.

If you call from any other phone, use our regular customer service number: 01608 434 434. You can also use our contact form to send us a message.

Calls and costs

How much are calls to local and national numbers?

Calls to landlines cost 8p per minute. We charge by the second not the minute like other providers.

How much are calls to mobiles?

Calls to mobiles cost 8p per minute. If you are calling another Co-operative Mobile customer, the cost is only 4p per minute.

How much are calls to 084, 087, 118 and 09 numbers?

The costs of all these calls is made up of two parts, an access charge and a service charge. The service charge is set by whoever you are calling, and must be displayed wherever the number is advertised. The access charge is set by your phone company. Our access charge is 21p per minute inc VAT, with a 1 minute minimum charge. If a number is advertised as having a service charge of 10p per minute, then the total charge is the service charge, plus the access charge; in this example the total charge would be 27.2p per minute.

Can I use the disabled operator service?

The Blind and Disable Directory Enquiry service is provided by BT, and accessed by dialling 195. Calls to this service are free.

Can I send texts to 999 in an emergency?

The emergencySMS service ( has been set up so that people who cannot make voice calls because they have a hearing loss or a speech impairment can easily contact emergency services.

You need to register your mobile phone with the service in order to use it. Please visit their page for registration instructions:

Can I make free calls to charity numbers?

All calls to the Special Freephone Tariff are free. These are calls to helplines using the dial code 0808 80.

How much are texts and picture messages?

Text messages cost 4p each. If you are texting another Co-operative Mobile customer, that will only cost 2p. Picture messages (MMS) are 25p each.

Can I send texts to other short numbers?

At the moment, the service does not support the sending of "short code" SMS messages. Messages to short numbers that are used for competition, voting or payment lines will fail. We hope to be able to offer this service soon.

How much does it cost to use the internet?

Data costs 10p per MB.


How do I get a SIM card?

SIM cards are available in most Co-operative Food stores. You can also order a SIM card online.

How do I activate my SIM card?

Just call 1250 to activate your new SIM card.

If you are using the SIM for data only, you will still need to activate the SIM card by putting it into a mobile handset and dialling 1250.

Why does my phone say "blocked", "barred", "incorrect SIM", or "SP LOCK"?

If your phone is showing one of these messages, it means it has been locked by your old provider - this often happens if you got your phone for free as part of a bundle. You will need to ask your old provider to unlock it, and they might charge you to do this.

Can I get a nano-SIM?

While we don't stock nano-SIMs in stores, you can order a nano-SIM online.

Which SIM card do I need?

There are two types of SIM you can order:

  • Standard/Micro SIM: The SIM that most phones use.
  • Nano SIM: Used in phones like the iPhones 5 and 6.


What bundles do you do?

We have a wide selection of bundles, ranging from 250 minutes and 30 texts for £5, up to a massive 1000 minutes, 3000 texts and 2GB for £20. All our bundles last for 30 days.

What's included in the bundles?

Calls and texts to UK landlines (01, 02, and 03 numbers) and to Voicemail all form part of your bundle allowance.

How much am I charged when I use up all my bundle?

If you use all your bundle allowance, you will be charged our standard rates for any further calls, texts or data.

Can I order more than one bundle at a time?

You can only order one bundle in any 30 day period. The exception is if you order one of our standalone data bundles alongside a text and minute bundle, but you can still only order one of those every 30 days.

If I don't use all of my bundle up in 30 days, does the remaining allowance roll over?

Our bundles only last for 30 days, so any balance that is not used during that period will be deleted from your account.

How can I order a bundle?

Visit our bundles page, select the bundle you want, and then text the code for that bundle to 1250. You must have enough credit on your account balance for the bundle that you want, otherwise the order will fail.

Topping up my phone

How can I top-up my phone?

There are various ways you can add credit to your phone.

  • Online. Register your debit/card with us and choose from a range of automatic top-up options. We have a low-balance and auto top-up options available. You can register up to 4 debit or credit cards. The minimum top-up is £10.
  • In person at any store where you see the PayPoint or payzone logos displayed. Simply buy a top-up voucher for 'Co-operative Mobile' with a PIN. Then dial *125*, key in the PIN, press # and SEND. Or you can call 1250 for instructions. The minimum top-up is £5. Please remember to ask for a Co-operative Mobile top up voucher, as no other vouchers will work.
  • By calling 1250 and selecting option 3 to use a debit or credit card to top-up. The minimum top-up is £10.

How do I check the balance on my phone?

Just dial *125# and press SEND, or text "BALANCE" to 1250, or call 1250 and follow the instructions.

Moving and keeping my number

Can I keep my old number?

Yes you can. You will need a PAC code from your current provider. Once they have given you this, just fill in our form, and we'll move your number to our service. Please note that porting your number can take up to 2 working days to complete and your Co-op SIM card will need to be activated.

What happens when my number moves to you?

If you are keeping your current handset then continue to use it until you lose the service from your existing network. Then switch off the handset, remove the old SIM card and replace it with the new one we have provided.

If you are changing handsets, then when the existing SIM card loses service you should put our SIM card into your new phone, and switch it on.

Service will be lost for around 3 hours on the porting day, lthough in some cases it may be longer. This usually happens some time between 11am and 3pm and always between 9am and 5pm at the latest.

Can I keep my contacts?

If you keep your contact list on your SIM card, you will lose it when you start using your Co-operative Mobile SIM. To avoid this, make sure all your contacts are stored on your phone, so they are still available to your Co-operative Mobile SIM. You can also store your contacts online, if you use Gmail or iCloud, and sync them to your phone.


How do I access my voicemail?

Using voicemail, you can:

  • Listen to messages left for you.
  • Record a voicemail message.
  • Set your voicemail PIN so you can access voicemail from other phones.
  • Nominate an email address to have your messages delivered to.

Voicemail is automatically activated once you set up your mobile.

To access voicemail and to set up a voicemail PIN, dial 555 and follow the instructions.

To access voicemail from abroad or from another phone, dial your mobile number, press * and follow the instructions.

You can also access your voicemail online, at Using this service also allows you to divert all your voicemails to an email address.

How do I divert all calls to Voicemail?

Make sure that the Voice Mailbox number stored in your phone is 07870 020 555. Any other number eg 447870020555 or just 555 will cause the divert request to fail.

How do I turn off my voicemail?

Dial 555 from your Co-operative Mobile handset.
Press 3 - to configure your personal options.
Press 3 - to program the record mode of your mailbox.
Press 1 - to activate or deactivate your voicemail.

Our phone help pages should be able to help with where to find call forwarding options and how to turn off your voicemail. If you are still having problems please contact us on 01608 434 434 and we will talk you through how to do this.

Internet and data

How much data do I need?

Our bundles come with a choice of 250MB, 500MB, 1GB or 2GB of mobile internet use. 1GB is ideal for regular usage. If you mostly use your connection to browse, email and check social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, 1GB should be more than enough. Various activities count towards your data usage, including browsing the web, downloading music and videos, emailing and instant messaging.

The amount of data used during these activities varies. When browsing, it depends on the type of website being viewed. A site like YouTube uses large amounts of data compared to a plainer website like Google.

As a general guide, 1GB allows you to:

  • view around 5000 webpages, or
  • send/receive about 2000 emails, or
  • stream about 200 songs, or
  • stream about 2 hours of video, or
  • make about 4 hours of video calls

Using a 3G connection to update applications or your Operating System is not recommended, as these are often very large downloads.

I seem to be getting through my data rather quickly. How can I make my allowance go further?

If you're using your phone to stream a lot of video or music, email photos, update apps, or make face-to-face video calls then you may find your allowance doesn't last for 30 days. Fortunately, your data already goes a bit further than other suppliers' because we don't round your usage up to the nearest MB. Additionally, if you have broadband at home via your landline, or are in a public area with accessible wi-fi, make sure your phone's wireless is switched on. Using wi-fi wherever it's available is a sure-fire way to make sure your allowance lasts longer.

Why can't I access some websites?

We have signed-up to a Code of Practice to help us self-regulate the content available on phones. Certain sites and services that are deemed inappropriate for under 18s are, by default, not accessible from our service. However, content filtering is not perfect and, sometimes, it can block legitimate sites. When that happens, or for any other reason, we can turn it off. Simply call us on 500.

For more information about mobile content filtering, please visit the website of the Independent Mobile Classification Body:‎

Can I use tethering?

We are happy for you to tether your phone to any other device, to share its internet connection, though we cannot guarantee that every phone will be compatible.

Is 4G internet available from The Co-operative Mobile?

Sadly not yet, but we are working on it.

How do I set up my phone for internet access and picture messaging?

You shouldn't need to take any action to set up your phone for internet access and picture messaging. The correct settings will be loaded as soon as you insert your SIM card, so you'll be ready to go straight away.

If you do have any problems, we have instructions for setting up your phone manually, on our set up page.

If you ever need to check your APN settings, or input them manually, then these are what you need:

Internet Picture messaging

Access Point (APN): everywhere
User name: eesecure
Password: secure
Proxy: not set

APN : eezone
MMS proxy :
MMS port : 8080
MMS url : http://mms


Email and messaging

How do I set up my phone for e-mail?

Compatible phones can also send and receive e-mails. You will need your e-mail address, and e-mail provider's incoming server.

If you have a Phone Co-op e-mail address the incoming server is

For the outgoing (SMTP) server, you can generally use However, if your mail provider uses SSL, you will need to use the SMTP settings they have provided you with.

Going or calling abroad

Can I use The Co-operative Mobile abroad?

Your SIM card is set up to allow you to make and receive calls, texts, and use the internet while you are abroad.

What are the roaming charges?

We have six roaming "Zones," and each one has a different rate for calls, texts and data. Visit our roaming details page to see how much using your phone abroad will cost.

Do I get charged for receiving calls while I'm abroad?

Yes, there is a charge to receive calls outside the UK. Visit our roaming details page to see how much using your phone abroad will cost in the Zone you are visiting.

Can I turn off roaming?

No problem. Just call us on 500 before you go away, or on 441608434434 while you are away, and we will switch roaming off for you.

How do I top-up abroad?

Before you go abroad, make sure you register your debit or credit card details with our top-up service. Then when you are abroad, visit from a computer to buy a top-up.

Using your device

Where can I get help about using my phone?

With so many different handsets available, you might think it's impossible to offer support for individual phone models.

Well, we do our best - if you need help with your phone, try one of our phone simulators, and use the step by step guides to figure out how to do just about anything with your phone.

Do you do BlackBerry?

You can use one of our SIM cards in a BlackBerry handset, but we cannot provide the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Lost and stolen

How can I keep my phone safe?

We recommended using a PIN code to lock your phone, as shown in your handset manual. If you forget your PIN and accidentally lock your phone, call 01608 434 434 for the PUK (personal unlocking) code.

What do I do if my phone is stolen?

Please call customer services on 01608 434 434 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm; Sat 9am-3pm, or 01608 434 072 at any other time to report your phone stolen. We will put a block on your service so that it cannot be used by anyone else.

What if I lose my SIM?

Call us from a landline, or other mobile, on 01608 434 434 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm; Sat 9am-3pm, or 01608 434 072 at any other time to report your lost SIM. We will suspend it so no-one else can make calls. Then we will send you a new SIM card, which will have the same number as your old one.

What do I do if my phone breaks?

The first thing to do is reboot your handset. This is a simple thing to do, but solves the majority of problems you are likely to encounter. To reboot:

  • Switch off your phone.
  • Remove the battery.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Replace the battery and switch the phone back on.

Our Co-op

Call us on
01608 434 434